Home About Me Math Language Arts Facebook TeachersPayTeachers Email Me Pinterest Image Map

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What is Rigor?

The education field is all about buzzwords. One that is circulating now is RIGOR. What does rigor mean?
According to Merriam-Webster Free Online Dictionary:
         (1) :  harsh inflexibility in opinion, temper, or judgment 
         (2) :  the quality of being unyielding or inflexible 
         (3) :  severity of life 
Wow, "harsh inflexibility" and "severity of life," that doesn't really sound like anything I want in my classroom? But, the powers that be keep telling us to increase rigor in the classroom

So, what does rigor mean in education? I think rigor is about providing opportunities for every student to be challenged, to be pushed-maybe a little beyond what is comfortable or certainly easy.

Since I currently teach gifted and accelerated courses, this often (really almost always) going beyond age basic textbook.  I love open-ended questions, problem solving, student-centered learning. I also connect as much as I can. 

What do you do 


"Rigor." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 14 June 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigor>

No comments:

Post a Comment